This guide will help you How to Unlock Bootloader on Android Pie UMIDIGI devices. unlocked bootloader allows you to flash factory images/stock firmware, install a Custom recovery like TWRP or flash a Custom ROM like LineageOS.
What is Bootloader
Nowadays all Android Phones comes with Locked Bootloader. A bootloader is a software that runs every time the device starts up. It tells the phone what program it has to load to make your phone run. Not only that, but it is also used to boot up the device to recovery mode. Manufacturers only want their authorized operating system to run on the devices, thereby preventing the installation of third-party firmware or Custom ROM.
But many of the tech enthusiasts users out there are always ready to tweak their Android device’s software for enhanced performance, battery life, features, etc. Either they customize Stock Firmware or Install Custom ROM to try something new on thier smartphone. The most important among them is the ability to obtain root access on your device, to make modifications to the software.
Advantages of Unlocked Bootloader
- You can Root your UMIDIGI device as well as you can install Custom Recovery i.e TWRP on the phone.
- You will be able to install various Custom Rom and Google Camera Port.
Disadvantages of Bootloader Unlocking are
- By unlocking bootloader, you will void your device’s warranty.
- After Unlocking, everytime your phone will show warning of ‘deive unlocked’ while rebooting.
With all these pieces of information in hand, read on the below guide on how to Unlock Bootloader on Android Pie UMIDIGI devices.
Step by Step Guide to Unlock Bootloader on Android Pie UMIDIGI devices using Fastboot
Let’s unlock the bootloader on the UMIDIGI. For your ease and understanding, we have split this guide into five steps.
Step 1: Backup All your data
Unlocking the bootloader would completely wipe all the data from the device. So before beginning with the process, it is extremely important to have a complete backup of all your data- media files, contacts, call logs, app data, and other important data. Try to copy all the possible data to your PC/laptop.
Step 2: Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool on Your PC
In order to follow the instructions below, you must first install the Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your PC. During this guide, we will refer to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot”, which would be the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools are installed.
Step 3: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on Your Device
To enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging refer our guide 4 Steps to Enable Developer Option USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking On Android Device. Until and unless you enable this option, you won’t be able to carry on with the unlocking process.
Step 4: Boot Your UMIDIGI Device into Bootloader/Fastboot Mode
Before entering the fastboot commands for unlocking the Bootloader, you need to boot your device to fastboot mode. Use special combination buttons (Power+Volume Up) or follow the below procedure:
- Open Minimal ADB and fastboot with the help of shortcut your created on desktop or browse the location where binaries are installed and click on “cmd here”. Alternative is While holding the SHIFT, right-click in an empty location inside the folder and select ‘Open command window here.
- Now Connect your Android Device to Windows PC via USB Cable. and reboot the Device intro Fastboot mode manually or by typing the following command
adb reboot bootloader
- Phone will reboot into Fastboot mode, Check if it is recognised successfully by your PC by typing command
Your device will successfully boot into bootloader/fastboot mode. Now just follow the below steps in order to finally unlock your device’s bootloader.
Step 5: Unlock Your UMIDIGI device Bootloader Using Fastboot
- In order to unlock the bootloader type the command
fastboot flashing unlock
- As soon as the command is executed, you should see a confirmation message on your Android device’s screen, seeking your response on unlocking the bootloader.
- Use the Volume buttons to highlight ‘Unlock the Bootloader’, ‘Yes’. Then press the Power button to confirm the selection.
In future, if you want to re-lock bootloader then you need to use command
fastboot flashing lock
That’s it. You have successfully “Unlock Bootloader on Android Pie on your UMIDIGI device”. Note that when your device boots up for the first time, it might take up a little more time than usual. This is completely normal. Also, you will have to set up your device all over again as all the data on your device would have been wiped off. If you have any questions, suggestions or doubts regarding the guide let us know below in comments section.