Unlocking the bootloader on your Xiaomi devices will allow you to install third-party firmware (custom ROMs), TWRP, and even root using Magisk. If you’re here for it, then follow the instructions in this comprehensive guide on how to unlock bootloader on MIUI using Mi Unlock Tool.
Xiaomi/Redmi devices running MIUI require a specialized tool (Mi Unlock Tool) to unlock the bootloader. You’d need to get your device approved for unlocking first and then wait for a specific time period before you could finally unlock the bootloader.
First of all, ensure that you fulfill all the requirements in order to Unlock Bootloader on MIUI phone.
- It is important that you take a complete backup of your Xiaomi smartphone. The process to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi wipes the complete device including internal storage.
- Also, install Xiaomi USB drivers on your PC.
- Last, ensure that you have charged your phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns in midst of the installation process.
Now that you’re here for it, go ahead and follow the instructions below on How to Unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Using Mi Unlock Tool.
How to Unlock Bootloader on MIUI devices Using Mi Unlock Tool
Xiaomi makes its users go through an long wait before allowing them to unlock the bootloader. For your easy understanding we split this guide into five steps.
Step 1: Login Xiaomi account and sync your mobile number
Xiaomi users generally skip making an Mi account during the initial setup. But in order to unlock the Mi device bootloader, it is necessary to have a working account on the device. Moreover, it is important to link the own number on the device with the Xiaomi account.
After login to Mi account it will further ask you to allow the permission for Mi cloud. Make sure sync and find my device options are checked.
After failing to unlock the bootloader a few times, I realized that Xiaomi requires ‘Find My Device’ toggled and synced to the latest location for some reason.
Step 2: Authorize Mi Unlock in the developer settings
In this step, you have to bind your account with the Mi Unlock authorization tab which you can find under the developer settings
- To enable developer settings Open the device settings > Tap on About phone > Scroll down and tap on MIUI version seven times. This will unlock the developer options in your MIUI device which can be located under ‘Additional Settings’.
- In Developer options, go to the ‘Mi Unlock Status’ and tap on ‘Add account and device’ in order to authorize Xiaomi to unlock the device associated with the account.
- The authorization process will use the mobile data of the carrier. Therefore, make sure you have turned off WiFi before adding the account.
- Don’t forgot to enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging while you are in the developer options settings.
Step 3: Download the Mi Unlock Tool
- Keep your phone aside and open http://en.miui.com/unlock on your PC and Download the Xiaomi Unlock Tool.
- Extract the zip file and open the application named ‘Mi unlock flash file’.
- Log in using the same Mi account which is being used on the Xiaomi smartphone.
Step 4: Start Mi bootloader unlocking process
- Before starting with the Mi bootloader unlocking process, tap on the top-right gear icon to check the update for both USB driver and Mi Unlock Tool.
- As instructed on the app screen, switch off your smartphone. Take a moment and hold the power button and lower volume button simultaneously. This will open up the fast boot mode in your MIUI device
- Now, connect the phone with the computer via USB cable. A new message will appear on the screen ‘Phone connected’
- Now, click on the ‘Unlock‘ button to unlock the bootloader.
Step 5: Wait for Xiaomi to end the Unlock period
On your first attempt, the Mi unlock tool will flash the message, ‘Couldn’t unlock, Please unlock 168 hours later’.
Many users claim to get the unlock device authorization within a few hours. Try not to bypass the 168 hours error otherwise waiting period is a bitter longer. You might end up resetting the clock trying to trick the system.
The best thing you can do is wait patiently and once the unlock period is over, again use the Mi unlock tool and hopefully, you unlock the bootloader of MIUI device.
Step 6: Check the Mi Unlock Status
Before you head on to do other things such as flashing the MIUI device or rooting the device, do a quick check if the unlock procedure was a success.
Close the Mi unlock tool and reboot the device. Again, head to the Mi unlock status in the developer settings and see, ‘This device is unlocked’
That’s it! The comprehensive guide to ‘Unlock bootloader on MIUI devices Using Mi Unlock Tool’. Your Xiaomi device now has an unlocked bootloader. Now, you can install Custom ROMs, recoveries and root your Xiaomi device for complete control. If you have any problem regarding Unlocking Bootloader then, feel free to comment below.