This article will guide you to Download and Install TWRP for Samsung A20 SM-A205F/G running on Android 9 Pie. Installing TWRP will allow you to install custom ROMs, kernels, mods, take Nandroid backups and restore them. TWRP 3.3.x is the latest TWRP that is now available for Samsung Galaxy A20. Credit goes to mohammad.afaneh for his work in unofficial TWRP development.
The Samsung Galaxy A20 was first made available for purchase in April 2019. It features a 6.4 inches Super AMOLED display, offering a pixel density of 268 PPI and powered by a non-removable 4000mAh battery. Under the hood sits an Exynos 7884 SoC, which utilises an octa-core CPU, a Mali-G71 MP2 GPU and 3 GB of system RAM. The primary camera has a dual 13/5 MP specification, the secondary is capable of capturing images at 8 MP.
Advantages and Disadvantages of TWRP
Before you furher go through the guide, you must know features and disadvantages of using TWRP and avoid any confusions.
- Taking Nandroid backups and restoring them.
- Installing custom ROMs, kernels, mods, and any other flashable zips.
- Installing partition images (system, boot, etc)
- System Updates will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
- KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone. Your warranty may be voided. However, this may not affect you if your country, European Union, for example, forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.
In breif If you’re looking for ways to customize the software for more features or for optimizing the performance and battery life, then you can do so by installing custom ROMs or kernels. But to do any of that, you must first install TWRP Recovery on your phone.
Now that you’re here for it, go ahead and follow the instructions below on how to install TWRP Recovery on your device.
First of all, ensure that you fulfill all the requirements in order to successfully install TWRP on your phone.
- Take a complete backup of all your data. Although this procedure will not wipe any data on your phone, it would be wise to safeguard your data in case anything goes wrong.
- In order to flash TWRP recovery, you must first unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Last, ensure that you have charged your phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns in midst of the installation process.
Very Important: Before you start, make sure you have rooted your Samsung Galaxy A20:
How to Download and Install TWRP for Samsung A20 SM-A205F/G
For your convenience and better understanding we have divided instructions in five steps.
Step 1: Download TWRP for Galaxy A20
twrp-a20-3.3.1-0_afaneh92.img | Download Now
The links were directly sourced from the original XDA thread, thanks to developer physwizz!
Step 2: Get recovery.tar
- Rename the downloaded unpatched recovery to recovery.img
- In Zarchiver, convert recovery.img to recovery.tar by selecting compress option.
- Now copy boot.img from phone to your computer (which we got in previous Rooting guide)
- Right-click on boot.img and select ‘Add to archive’. In option 7z select the update mode as ‘update and add file’ and select recovery.tar in the Archive location and click Ok.
- Now Download vmeta.img and use 7zip to add vbmeta.img to recovery.tar (right click and choose add to archive and choose recovery.tar)
Step 3: Flash recovery.tar by using Odin
Power Off your phone and boot into Download Mode while holding the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together. You shall now see the Warning prompt on the screen. Press the Volume Up button to confirm and enter Download Mode
- Launch the Odin tool by double-clicking on the “Odin3 V3.13.3.exe”
- The Odin tool will detect the phone and the “ID:COM” port will be turn to blue or highlighted.
- Click on the AP slot buttons and select the recovery.tar file
- Now, make sure that “Auto Reboot” is unchecked in the “Options” tab of the Odin tool.
- Finally, click on the “Start” button to flash the TWRP file.
Once the flashing process finishes, you should see the “PASS!” message in Odin and your A20 should have TWRP Recovery. Reboot to recovery mode manually. Press and hold Volume Up and power button together to boot into recovery mode. You successfully installed TWRP for Samsung A20 SM-A205F/G but the phone data is still in encrypted form. You need to disable encryption by installing one zip file. For that you have to follow the below step.
Step 4: Disable Data Encryption
To ensure that data is not encrypted so as to enable data to be backed up follow these steps
- Boot your phone into TWRP mode and mount everything that you can.
- Click on Wipe>Format data and swipe to confirm Factory reset.
- Download and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_08.18.2019.zip
- Now return to TWRP home screen and tap on Reboot> Recovery. Your phone will boot into Download Mode.
- Connect your mobile to your PC and once again follow Step 3: Flash recovery.tar by using odin.
- After the complition of the process reboot system now.
That’s it Now you can easily take backups and restore them easily. I hope you follow the all four steps carefully and Install TWRP for Samsung A20 SM-A205F/G/FN/GN running on Android Pie. If you have any queries or find any difficulty in this guide drop a comment in comment box.