Do you have Motorola Moto X4 ? Want to Install TWRP Recovery ? You are at right place because in this guide we share Download & Install TWRP for Moto X4 on Android Pie 2019.
Motorola Moto X4 is receiving regular patch updates and two Major Updates i.e Oreo and Pie respectively. While the phones may definitely be a value for the buck, but Motorola is long known for irregular and delayed support when it comes to software updates. Also, the stock firmware that comes pre-installed on these phones isn’t a stronghold when it comes to customization. It is all but basically stock AOSP software with Motorola’s proprietary apps sitting atop.
Well, in either case, you might want to install a custom ROM on your Moto X4 device. This will not only give you a plethora of options to customize the software but also help you keep your phone updated with the latest Android security patch. But in order to do that, you must first install a custom recovery like TWRP on your Moto X4 source code payton.
First of all, ensure that you fulfill all the requirements in order to successfully install TWRP on your phone.
- Take a complete backup of all your data. As Unlocking Bootloader will results in format of your phone’s data.
- In order to flash TWRP recovery, you must first enable OEM unlocking and unlocked Bootloader. To unlock bootloader follow the Motorola official page instructions
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot must be Installed on your PC.
- Also, install Motorola USB drivers on your PC.
- Last, ensure that you have charged your phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns in midst of the installation process.
Now that you’re here for it, go ahead and follow the instructions below on how to Install TWRP for Moto X4
How to Install TWRP for Moto X4 on Android Pie 2019
Since the Moto X4 support the new A/B partition scheme, installing TWRP on it is a two-step process. First, you will need to temporarily boot the TWRP recovery image using fastboot and then flash the recovery image using the ‘TWRP Installer zip’. Just follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Download Official TWRP
The links were directly sourced from the official site, thanks to Teamwin!
Download and save the TWRP image where Minimal ADB and fastboot installed. Rename the downloaded twrp-3.3.1-0-payton.img to recovery.img and copy twrp-installer-3.3.1-0-payton.zip to your phone’s storage.
Step 2: Boot into Bootloader
- Open Minimal ADB and fastboot with the help of shortcut your created on desktop or browse the location where binaries are installed and click on “cmd here”. Alternative is While holding the SHIFT, right-click in an empty location inside the folder and select ‘Open command window here.
- Now Connect your Android Device to Windows PC via USB Cable. and reboot the Device intro Fastboot mode manually or by typing the following command
adb reboot bootloader
Step 3: Boot TWRP Recovery
- Phone will reboot into Fastboot mode, Check if it is recognised successfully by your PC by typing command
- Now we will temporarily boot TWRP Recovery by using the following Command
fastboot boot recovery.img
- It will boot into the temporary TWRP. Don’t Boot into standard OS
Step 4: Flash TWRP Installer zip
- Your phone should now enter into TWRP recovery mode.
- Once entering the TWRP, Swipe to allow modification and Take Nandroid Backup. (In case of bootloop, you can easily restore your phone.)
- Tap on the ‘Install‘ option.
- Navigate to the phone’s internal storage and select the TWRP recovery installer zip
- Finally, swipe the button to permanently install on that OS.
- It will ask to install additional file, select do not install option and continue ‘reboot‘
I hope you have successfully Installed TWRP for Moto X4 running on Android 9.0 Pie.
How to Reboot into TWRP
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Fastboot mode. To do this- Press and hold down the Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time for a while
- Use volume buttons to move down and select Recovery mode
Now your Moto X4 should be in TWRP mode.
How to Root Moto X4 using Magisk
- Reboot into Recovery mode and Select the ‘Install’ button in TWRP recovery.
- Navigate to the directory where the Magisk installer zip file was transferred.
- Select the “Magisk” zip file.
- Then swipe the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash‘ button to flash the files and root Moto X4 using Magisk.
- Finally, tap on the ‘Reboot System‘ button to reboot your phone.
Moto X4 should now be rooted using Magisk. You can go ahead and launch the Magisk Manager app. You can use it to manage superuser permissions for apps that require root, install modules for additional features, or use MagiskHide to hide root from certain root-detecting apps.
There you go! This was our comprehensive guide on how to install TWRP for Moto X4 codename payton. If you face any issues while performing the procedure, then you can let us know by commenting below.