In this Guide, You will be able to Learn How to Install TWRP Recovery via ADB Fastboot or odin tool on Any Android device. Users who want to customize their Android phone with third-party custom ROMs, root, or mods, must first install a custom recovery.
So, if you want to add some more features, customize the appearance of the OS, or want to shift to another firmware altogether, you will need a few things. To start with, you will first have to unlock the phone’s bootloader, which will enable you to install a custom recovery.
What is TWRP Recovery?
Team win recovery project is the most known open-source software custom recovery for Android-based Devices. it gives a touchscreen-enabled user interfaced. TWRP Recovery allows users to install the third-party custom firmware.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements below before you follow the instructions to install TWRP recovery on Android
- We strongly recommend taking a full backup of the device before flashing TWRP. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- In order to flash TWRP recovery, you must first enable OEM unlocking and unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Download and install USB drivers of your specific phone’s brand on your PC.
- You will also need to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
Note: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. Galaxystuffs cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.
Download TWRP Recovery
Go through official site of TWRP, simply click on your device’s manufacturer name and download TWRP recovery for your Android device.
Once you have succeeded to download TWRP recovery for your Android phone, follow the installation instructions below.
How to Install TWRP Recovery?
Now, there are two ways to install TWRP recovery on your Android device. You can either use method 1, which will use Fastboot to flash the recovery IMG file. Samsung Galaxy device owners will need to use Method 2 and flash the recovery using the Odin tool.
Method 1: Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot
- Open Minimal ADB and fastboot with the help of shortcut your created on desktop or browse the location where binaries are installed (ref-below image) and click on “cmd here”
- Rename the TWRP file to recovery.img and place in adb and fastboot folder
- Now Connect your Android Device to Windows PC via USB Cable. and reboot the Device intro Fastboot mode manually or by typing the following command
adb reboot bootloader
- Phone will reboot into Fastboot mode, Check if it is recognised successfully by your PC by typing command
- Now we will Install TWRP Recovery by using the following Command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Devices with A/B partition system, like the Google Pixel/Pixel 2, Moto Z2 Force, Mi A1, do not support direct flashing. On such devices, you will need to temporarily boot TWRP using:
fastboot boot twrp-recovery.img
That’s it!! Now you have Install TWRP on Android Device. So this was how you can install TWRP recovery using Fastboot. The method shall work for the majority of OEM Android devices.
Method 2: Install TWRP Recovery using Odin Tool
- Download TWRP recovery Odin flashable (*.img.tar) file for your Samsung Device and Odin tool.
- Extract the downloaded odin tool and open the folder
- Run ‘Odin3.exe’ by double-clicking on it.
- Boot your Samsung device into Download mode and connect it to the PC.
- The COM port in the Odin window should light up.
- Click on the ‘AP’ button
- Select the TWRP recovery tar file for your device.
- Don’t play or modify any other settings.
- Finally, click on the ‘Start’ button to install TWRP recovery using Odin tool.
Once the flashing process is complete, you shall see the ‘PASS!’ message on the screen and the phone will reboot automatically.
How to Update TWRP Recovery?
- Download the latest TWRP version (.img) for your device.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded IMG file to the phone’s storage or SD card.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Boot your Android device into TWRP recovery mode.
- Go to the ‘Install’ menu and tap on the “Install image” button at the bottom.
- Select the TWRP IMG file.
- Next, select ‘Recovery’ from the list of partitions shown on the screen.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to update TWRP recovery to the latest version.
- Once done, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button.
So now that you have been able to install TWRP recovery on your Android devices, go ahead and flash custom ROMs.