Installation of MediaTek USB VCOM Drivers is needed for a MediaTek smartphone to be detected by the computer. Most Mediatek Android devices cannot communicate with any computer when VCOM driver is not installed. The communication I am saying here is not just to copy medias or documents from the android smartphone but for advance ones like flashing an Android device.
Installing Mediatek USB VCOM Drivers in Windows 10 is a hectic process because these drivers are not digitally signed and after Windows 8.1 Microsoft has disabled the installation of installing these unsigned drivers due to security measures. So in this tutorial, I am going to show you the process to first disable the Windows Driver Signature Verification and after that Install these drivers in a proper way.
How to Disable Windows Driver Signature Verification
- Click on Start Button and click on Settings App or you can also do it by searching Settings in the Cortana Search.
- In the Settings Window click on Update and Security and then on Recovery Option from the left sidebar.
- You will find Advanced Start-up in Recovery Windows, just click on the restart now button below that.
- Your system will reboot and you will see a window asking for restart options, just click on Troubleshoot and then on Advanced Options.
- From the Advanced Options menu select Start-up Settings and click on the Restart button.
- After your system reboots you will see Star-up settings asking for the options, click on number 7 key on your keyboard to select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
- That’s it, Your system will reboot with disabled driver signature verification.
Note: Driver Signature Verification is disabled only for the current boot, it will be enabled again if you reboot.
How to Install Mediatek USB VCOM Drivers
Step 1: Firstly download the MTK USB VCOM Driver from HERE and extract them to a suitable location.
Step 2: Open Device Manager by right-clicking on the start button and select Device Manager or by searching Device Manager in the Cortana search.
Step 3: In the Device Manager Windows right click on your username and select Add Legacy hardware.
Step 4: Add Hardware wizard will popup just click on the Next button to proceed.
Step 5: In the next step select second option saying “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” and click on Next button.
Step 6: Next you will see a long list of Hardware Types. Just select Show All Devices and click Next.
Step 7: Click on Have Diskin the next windows and select .inf file according to PC environment that you extracted in Step 1.
Step 8: Once selected, click on Next button. You will get a Windows Security Warning asking to install unsigned drivers, just click on Install Anyway.
That’s it, Your MTK drivers for your Windows are successfully installed. Restart your system and connect your MediaTek MTK device, now you can use SP flash tool to start flashing custom ROMS and Firmware.